Why do parents seek an independent autism assessment?
- School is not able to offer timely and appropriate services, or there is a disagreement about the level or quality of services currently provided.
- A child is not making appropriate progress.
- To monitor the child’s progress (or the lack thereof) from a third-party perspective.
- To investigate disparities between the goals the child has reportedly achieved and the ability to generalize those skills in multiple environments (home, school, community, etc.).
- To get assistance in designing appropriate and challenging goals for the child.
- To achieve a multidisciplinary assessment that uses a range of diagnostic measures
Why a psychologist?
A registered psychologist with specialist training in Autism is able to provide a definite diagnosis. Diagnosis is only reached after a range of testing protocols has been carried out and if it is in the best interest of the child to attract the diagnosis.
Adult Autism Diagnosis
For adults, the result of an adult autism assessment is often one of relief, they talk about finally understanding why they had difficulty holding down a job or making relationships. A huge burden is lifted. This is much the same if the assessment results in Autism not being diagnosed. Accurate and timely information allows various options to be thoroughly explored. This increases wellbeing, reduces anxiety and helps the child or individual reach their unique potential.
In some cases adults consult us regarding the removal of a historic diagnosis that is no longer appropriate.
Treetops Autism Supportautism, autism support group, autism support sussex south of england, autism information, what is autism, diagnosis of autism, support for people with autism, autistic