This one day course is a practical resource to assist adopters and foster carers in looking after a child who has been sexually abused. The day is also very suitable for social care team staff who wish to gain an increased knowledge of this important area.
The syllabus will provide detailed information about the developmental and emotional impact of sexual abuse on a child.
- Delegates will learn practical skills that will help maintain firm and fair boundaries. Firm and fair boundaries will ensure the safety of both child and adult.
- An important part of the programme will be providing delegates with the skills to provide a warm and reparative relationship with the child despite very firm boundaries.
- Likely acting out scenarios and how to manage them.
- Diffusing threatening behaviour.
- Strategies to manage sexualised behaviour in children under 10 years of age.
- Strategies to manage sexualised behaviour in adolescents and teenagers. Managing the flirtatious teenager.
- Last resort: When to decide the placement must end
Looking after a child who has been sexually abused is often challenging. Adults very frequently feel anxious about accepting a child into their home who has a history of displaying sexualised behaviours. The course will focus on teaching safe strategies for managing sexualised behaviour. Participation on the course will increase skills, reduce anxiety and crucially lessen the incidents of difficult behaviour.
The venue is Christine Tizzard Psychology 8 – 9 The Courtyard, Trident Business Park, Chichester Rd, Selsey, West Sussex PO20 9DY
Selsey is close to the cathedral city of Chichester which is on the London Victoria – Portsmouth Harbour Line. Taxis or Buses (running every 15 minutes are available at Chichester Station.
Places are limited to 10 delegates. This is to ensure that there is ample opportunity to maximise learning.
Tea and coffee will be provided throughout the day.
The day will be taught by Chrissie Tizzard. Chrissie is an experienced Consultant Adult and Child Psychologist who has extensive experience working with children who have endured abuse. She also has experiencing of working directly with Looked after Children and in providing treatment and interventions to families pre and post placement.
Course fee £70 Couples receive a 10% discount: Course date 21th October 2013.
This course may also be provided in house throughout the United Kingdom. For further information please telephone Shiona Watson 01243 775055